Monday, February 06, 2012

Breakfast at Souq Waqif

A Group of us Malaysian ladies went to Souq Waqif for breakfast this morning, sort of wanting to give farewell to a friend, but she turned up very late so we went ahead with the breakfast without her. I ordered Americano coffee and ended up having 2 cups cos I added another cup of hot water to my coffee, cos it was far too strong for me. I hope it will not become a habit of me, I also did that to my coffee when I had one in that Dunedin Cafe back then.
We had arabic breads with tuna, lamb, chicken fillings, they are nice if served hot. The weather was pleasant this morning, I think around 21C, but we always choose this time of the year to go to the souq, we would not want to go there in summer though. Anyway we had a great time shopping after the breakfast. Imagine so many of us crowding in one small shop. The shop sells all kinds of pearl and silver jewelleries. We were all interested in the pearl necklaces. When we asked the shopkeeper whether the pearls are real or not, he immediately took out a lighter and used the lighter flame to flash on the pearl for a few seconds. According to him, this will prove that the pearl is real if it does not crack or changed colour. The pearls are all cultured pearls, they can even cultured colour pearls eg black, pink and white. We were all very impressed by his magic, so we proceeded to choose the type of necklaces that we liked and started the bargaining part, which was a very interesting dialogue between the shopkeeper and one of the ladies' representative. After about 1 hour you see us walking out of the shop with our bargains and the shopkeeper counting the money, laughing all the way ......... the shopkeeper was the one laughing ...
Two of the ladies did not join in the pearl necklaces hunting,  instead they went to the shop next door, they were looking for aladdin lamps, we were told that the shop was recently opened and the shopkeeper had to run out to don't-know-where to take his goods, so after sometimes some of us were tired of waiting and ended up not buying anything from him.
Indeed I had a wonderful time and would like to do it again another time, I mean the shopping !!
And we laughed so much inside the car on our way home because my friend mentioned that she should have auctioned for a camel to bring back to keep in her garden. She was still thinking of the many camels we saw at the entrance of the car park this morning, poor girl !! We told her next time, next time bring more money to buy the camel.

No comments: